Pages

Wednesday 17 April 2013

Etiquette and conducting your business on facebook

I think sometimes when conducting a business page online especially over facebook a lot of people or businesses are actually conducting themselves in a manner that is not fit for business.

I have numerous degrees in retail and business and while I am no expert I certainly know etiquette and how to conduct myself in a manner fit for business.

I am all for helping and supporting others IF they do the right thing by me and by business ethics and practices.

I will discuss a bunch of scenario's below, and I honestly would like you to think if any of these are current practices you do. In most instances you are actually creating more of a negative impression from your business and in turn it is quite impersonal and rude.

You have to remember that as an online business you have no physical store that your store front is indeed your website or facebook page. Just like a store it needs to be inviting, clear of clutter and it needs to have professionalism and respect.

Think of your photo albums or photo section as a place where you display your stock in store. Is it well packaged? Does it look appealing to the customer? Can the customer know and understand the product without having to ask questions? Is there a price listed? Are your items up to date?Postage options available? Just like in a store customers browse your albums and if there is no pricing or information they generally wont ask questions and will walk away. Why? Because this in turn makes them feel obligated to purchase as they initiated the conversation.

How about thinking of your business wall as your shop counter where you can interact with customers, help them with their enquiries, let them know any specials or information. So you want to engage with customers and this is especially important in facebook's scheme of things. In order to be seen you need people to interact and to engage. Simply ask a question or post something catching to the eye like an image. For me I have been trialing a new thing the past month where I upload an inspirational or motivating quote at essentially the start and close of business e.g 9am and 6pm. I have found this has so far increased my engagement and have seen it work very successfully on other pages.

Now it comes down to the nitty gritty's of business conduct.

Do you or would you go to a store and place your products in their store window? This is the same as you posting images and links to your products on someone else's business page, their shop front. When you think of it this way you wouldn't would you? But why do it to business pages?

Would you go to the front of their store and handout YOUR flyers or YOUR products to THEIR clients? In terms of fb business etiquette this is posting on a page "Hi from such and such come and like me".

Or would you go up to THEIR customers and say "Look I can offer you a better deal if you pop over to my business". Not only is this rude but it is not the right business ethics you want displayed to your customers. What does that say about you or the way you conduct your business? Certainly not one that I want or would like to associate or conduct myself in. There is far too much poaching of others business customers on facebook of late like emailing customers who have purchased or intend to purchase. Or emailing them an invoice for goods for your items even though they purchased somewhere else. It is WRONG so don't do it and if you are STOP!!

What about walking into a store and acknowledging the owner then go on to tell them about your products and your sales you are having and then just walk away. This is how it is when you post on another business page. I find this is SPAM and I know you want to network and get your name out there. But this isn't the way. Most of the times I will not like or even look at your page. Why? Because there is no incentive or benefit there for me to go to your page. Firstly you came to my business, my shop front and started posting or inboxing me. IF you were to compliment me or if you were interested or enquiring into a product or service I don't mind but it is my most pet hate!!

Another pet hate is when people post saying "I have liked you so you have to like me from your personal account to make it count". I don't HAVE TO do anything? I don't have to mark your post as SPAM but I just did!

Here is another one of my pet hates. When someone asks me "How have you gotten so many likers" or "You have a lot of likes I don't have many so please do a shout out or two as you have heaps". YES I am well aware of the number of likes I have. And all I will say is that it has taken A LOT OF HARD WORK to get to the point that I am. I am up until 4am each night then up at 9am each morning and work the whole day through. I feel it is rude to not only appreciate my hard work but expect me to give you a free ride. Real business world doesn't happen that way and neither is the way I conduct my business online.

If you do the following to ANY business page or even at a market stall please stop it immediately. Do you comment under a picture of a handmade creation saying "How do you make this?" or "I can make this cheaper and better" OR "Hey @tag such and such can you make this for me?". Not only is it rude but it is also upsetting. Many handmaidens like myself have worked tirelessly to create a product that is unique and individual. This is my passion and my love and I have invested ALL of MYSELF into Made with love and every design created is with my spirit and my passion and my love. I work off my own designs and my own templates and I appreciate you admire my work but it doesn't make me flattered that you want to replicate it. It makes me quite upset and hurt. Especially when at a market stall people (customers or stall holders) come up and say "I have no intention of buying I make and sell my own cards and tags and I am looking for ideas. You have great designs and I will replicate these to sell" My jaw drops and I just stare. How bloody rude!!! or another person says "Great designs love your work (turns to their friend and says) I can make this easy!!

Can you see how ANY or ALL of the above scenarios are rude and insensitive? Hope this has helped you to rethink your approach to business etiquette and ethics.

Yes online or virtually it all seems harmless in the scheme of things if you conduct yourself in this way but it actually isn't doing you any favours for your business.

So before you post or comment on someone else's page think to yourself "Would I like it if someone did or said this to me". If you answer No then you shouldn't do it.

Let's do things fairly, politely and be respectful to others!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Talya,

    I actually LOVE it when someone asks me if they can CASE my work. To me it is a great compliment. But then, part of my joy in crafting is sharing with others, whether it is online or in classes. I have respectfully asked others if I may CASE their cards. Almost always the response is yes and I give them credit if I post a photo of the finished project. If they ignore my request, then I just don't replicate their project.

    I'm glad I read your post though, since it seems like a compliment when it happens to me, it never occurred to me that someone else would think that it was rude and upsetting.

    Peace, Love & Joy,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce and thank you for sharing your experience and commenting. It helps seeing it from a different perspective. I guess everyone feels differently. Thank you for commenting and reading x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Talya. A great reminder how important your online conduct is in order to build your own business as well as respecting others trying to do the same. Having experienced a couple of the above scenarios myself, the upset that it can cause is huge.
    Congratulations on building such a successful business, your passion for what you do is obvious and your talent will ensure that your creations remain unique x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penelope and thank you for your comments and compliments it is much appreciated. And I agree the upset can be huge! You have amazing passion in each of your items too x

      Delete
  4. Very good :) It happens to me all the time and I do mean ALL :) But I normally just correct, ignore or sometimes I say something back. But you are right it's not appropriate to do those things. Great post and good job. BTW I love how you say "Pet hates" in America we call those Pet peeves LOL.

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved